Friday, March 28, 2014

Mini Quilts and Artist's Along The Bitterroot Studio Tour

I have been showing my work at a gallery in Billings, Montana, called Bailiwicks on Grand since sometime last summer (2013). In April 2014 they will be having a miniatures show of many art mediums.  The owner requested pieces that are 6”x8” or smaller so I have been doing some small pieces that are very fun to make.

The problem with these pieces is the amount of time it takes to make won't be recovered at a price that I can sell them for. It takes me as long to complete one of these as it does to do the quilting on a much larger piece. The finishing in particular takes a lot of time---making a binding or facing, adding tabs at the top for a rod, cutting/sanding/painting the rod, and adding a label. They turn out very pretty and are a good representation of what I do as I am able to incorporate a bit of nice quilting and some beading, as well as combining fabrics in an interesting way. Luckily they are VERY fun to do and I think they will sell if I can choose the right price point for them. If I sold them myself it wouldn't be a problem, but with a gallery commission taking a good bite out of it, the pricing is a challenge!

Below are some of the pieces I have sent off to the gallery. I particularly like the purple one with the circles.  The purple feather is on a silk dupioni fabric which shows off the quilting very nicely.  I have made about 18 of these little quilts so far and intend to do more.  You can find them at Bailiwicks on Grand in Billings and at The Artist's Shop in Missoula and they are currently priced at $50.00.

"Drum Beat"

"Tango"

"Foxtrot"

"Rhythm"

"Waltz"

In June (June 6-8) I will be participating in The Artists Along the Bitterroot Studio Tours so these might be great items to have in my borrowed studio space. I will be “bunking” with Shelly Peters who creates art with her lovely alpaca wool, Denise Pfau who incorporates woven reeds and fiber into stained gourds in a very beautiful way, and Merle Ann Loman who is a photographer. It will be a great fiber/photo destination so hopefully we'll get lots of traffic.  I will post more detailed information here later, but the website can be found here:  www.artistsalongthebitterroot.com

 At a recent local fiber art show, An Affair of the HeART, a number of artists created “Strata Art Quilts” based on my article last fall in The Quilt Life magazine. They displayed them all together and it was very interesting to see the variety of styles, skill levels, and variations on the basic theme. I was honored that so many have taken the time to try this very fun style of art quilt. I think most of them found a fun way to play with fabric, quilting, and beading on a small scale.

Here are pictures from the show:



An image of these quilts and an e-mail about them that I recently sent to the editor of The Quilt Life will be published in an upcoming issue of the magazine so look for it!

No comments:

The Challenges and Triumphs of 2022

One thing I can say about 2022 is that it was not a dull year! We have all been enjoying a little more freedom and social interaction with l...