Sunday, April 3, 2016

Next Stone In The Path

The life of an artist is one of constant evaluation of what you are doing, why you are doing it, how you might do it better, and how you can share it with others and sell it so you can continue doing it!

This past year I have not created as much as I did previous years and I have had some setbacks with efforts to teach and show my work.  I'm hoping for a more positive response to my classes this next year so that I can pursue my goal of teaching to a wider audience in some form.  Whether that is on a national teaching circuit or on-line or even by writing a book, I want to take it to the next level over the next few years.  

I have learned this year that I really love creating abstract collages and I would like to share my process by teaching or writing.  Actually I currently have an article I wrote about my color wheel series of small 12"  x 12" collages that will be published in Machine Quilting Unlimited in May of 2016.  I think there is more to my process than what I can share in the magazine article so I may be able to write and teach about it in more depth.  That series of work has also been accepted to a national quilt show as a special exhibit in fall of 2016 so that is also very exciting!  

At this point in my art "career" I need to move to a new phase.  What I have been doing has been somewhat successful but is not moving me forward.  It is all a bit stagnant at the moment.  A new gallery  is my current goal and I will be checking them out next month in Bozeman, Montana.  Wish me luck!


Making these small collages solidified to me that I love color and the collage process.  My earliest pieces as an art quilter were collage and since then I have done many of them although I have also experimented with some whole cloth pieces, some long narrow strip quilts ( "Strata Quilts") and even some landscapes. Right now the collage style seems to be what I am inspired to do. And inspiration is key to my productivity so for now that is what is coming out of the studio!  






No comments:

The Challenges and Triumphs of 2022

One thing I can say about 2022 is that it was not a dull year! We have all been enjoying a little more freedom and social interaction with l...