Saturday, August 4, 2012

More Reminiscing...

I was going through some of my quilt images and found these two pieces which I sold to the same person.  She and her husband loved both of them and I hope are still enjoying them wherever they are.  They moved south shortly after buying the second piece.

The first one never had a title except for "Challenge 2008" because it was made for the 2008 Sapphire Quilt Show challenge.  We were given the florally fabric with the black background and a dull light green tone-on-tone fabric with vines on it which were both very difficult to coordinate with other fabrics.  It took me months to come up with this collection---but it was worth it!  This piece won the challenge and was purchased before the show was over.   I will always regret that the price it sold for was an error and they got it for a song.  And I never even got to bond with it as I finished it just before the show!  At least I have pictures!  I am glad that it went to someone who really enjoys and appreciates it---and bought another piece shortly thereafter!





I like the suspended quilted triangles at the bottom.  I will have to do this again sometime as it was quite effective and added a lot of interest to the piece. 

 The second piece is called "Out of My Window" and began with a de-colorized image printed on two different types of silk.  The picture is of some cottonwood trees and snags (dead trees) in my backyard along Three Mile Creek.  This is the scene I see out my sewing room window, or I should say, used to see.  The tall snag fell down a couple of years ago---as I was looking out the window!  That was truly something to watch.  Kind of slow motion and then a dull thud.  Not even a loud crash or boom or anything.  And it wasn't even windy.  Just rotting cottonwood.  Luckily it was far from the house and caused only slight damage to our fence.   Love the black, white and red color scheme.





I have been busy working on pieces for my upcoming solo show at Montana Art and Framing in Missoula, Montana.  I have 8 new pieces and hope to complete several more.  I am pretty happy with what I have so far and hope that the gallery owner will be too.  I haven't made my final decision, but I think the show will be called "Stitch:  Lines of Communication".  With all the quilting and the hand embroidery on these pieces the lines are pretty integral to the work.  Now to write up a publicity statement about the show and what my title means.   Back to work!

No comments:

The Challenges and Triumphs of 2022

One thing I can say about 2022 is that it was not a dull year! We have all been enjoying a little more freedom and social interaction with l...