Sunday, May 18, 2014

Quilt "Rack" for Studio Tour

My husband and I worked together to create a display rack for some of my quilts that I will use during the Artists Along The Bitterroot Studio Tour which is coming up June 6-8.  I wanted some way to display a number of pieces without using up hanging space or stacking them on a table.  I drew out a design that I thought would work and my husband agreed to put it together for me.  I will also have wall panels in my space for displaying a number of my pieces, but I have so many that I thought it would be good to try this option for displaying some of them.

Two things I asked my husband to do before he did the final design of the rack, was to make sure it could come apart for storage---I suggested using wingnuts for this purpose.  Also I wanted to be able to have at least 12 art pieces on it.  I gave him a general width and height for the front and back of the stand.  I'm not a draftsman and I don't do woodworking, so my sketch was just a rough outline of what I wanted with a few measurements that I thought were important. 

So this is what my husband made for me.  I don't have all my long dowel rods yet so the ones I show here are just whatever I could find in my studio, and some of them are longer than they will end up being.  I wanted to be able to grab the rod on the side to lift up the quilt, but not have them so long that they get in the way of people moving through my "studio".  I wanted to see what it would look like with all the pieces on it so I filled it up with quilts.  It actually holds 15 wallhangings and I think it is pretty functional and attractive.  It will work great for my "studio" space (which isn't in my studio since I'm sharing with another artist in her alpaca barn along with two other artists).





The footprint of the rack is 39"deep by 28"w (not including the dowel rods)  and the front is 30"h, back is 52"h.  I think it displays my work rather nicely in a fairly compact way.  I like that they are hanging and just far enough apart so you can pick them up and look at them without any beads catching on the next one. 

A big thank you to my husband for making my design work!  I couldn't have done it myself, but working together we came up with a good thing!

1 comment:

Lynn Koeppen said...

Nice! A great idea comes to life! Good teamwork!

The Challenges and Triumphs of 2022

One thing I can say about 2022 is that it was not a dull year! We have all been enjoying a little more freedom and social interaction with l...