Monday, October 21, 2013

More Fiber Art from My September Show


This piece is called "Making My Mark" (11" x 21") as it was a study in mark making using some fabric pastel crayons.  I did some machine quilting on a sandwich (backing fabric, batting, top) using Osnaburg on top (a rough sort of muslin type/utility fabric, but looser weave), and then did the mark making.  Next I added hand embroidery using embroidery floss and bound it.  This is a rather rough piece but I enjoyed the process.  





 This next piece is called "Echoes on Evening Waters" because the circular motifs remind me of the circles on a lake or pond caused by insects and the occasional fish and the colors are reminiscent of the evening light.  This was white Prepared For Dye (PFD) fabric that was soy wax batiked using fabric paints.  I added lots of machine stitching and added some beaded fringe at the bottom.   This was one of my favorite pieces in the show.  It is only 11" x 17" but quite effective at that size.  I will likely be doing more soy wax batik as I love the depth and interplay of color and design that you get with the layering process.  I did not, however, enjoy removing the wax although I hear that it is much easier to remove than other waxes. 




I am currently working on some of my beaded ornaments for the holiday season so haven't been producing any new fiber art.  The ornaments, of course, are fiber but they don't really count!  I'll show some images when I have some time to take pictures--and before I deliver them to my galleries to sell!  I will also probably share some more of the pieces from my September solo gallery exhibition.  Not much sold so I have lots to show!

No comments:

The Challenges and Triumphs of 2022

One thing I can say about 2022 is that it was not a dull year! We have all been enjoying a little more freedom and social interaction with l...